Recovery after plastic surgery can be a time of excitement and even relaxation, whether they’ve had a tummy tuck or breast reduction. Our plastic surgery patients in Phoenix have found that if they plan properly and treat themselves with kindness, the days that follow their surgical procedure can be peaceful and full of positive thoughts for their beautiful results.
Here are 10 tips that can help prepare you to have just this kind of recovery.
- Plan conservatively. Schedule your surgery so that you have plenty of time before hosting a major event like a holiday party in your home.
- Consider sleeping downstairs if you have a two-story home. Your home’s lower level stays cooler and you won’t need to climb the stairs.
- Find a recliner to sleep in. Sleeping in a reclining chair may also be helpful for patients who choose specific types of surgery such as a tummy tuck. For abdominoplasty patients who do not own a recliner, consider renting one for a few weeks after surgery. Many patients have found this helpful to their recovery.
- Enlist the help of friends and family. You may need assistance in caring for small children or pets, household chores, and food preparation for 2 to 4 weeks after surgery.
- Get a “recovery notebook.” Keep this notepad with you after surgery so that you can keep a written log of drain outputs (if applicable), medications taken, and any discomfort or other concerns you are having.
- Stock your fridge with easy-to-prepare, healthful foods and beverages. Learn more about making smart, healthy choices before surgery and during recovery in our related blog post.
- Gather some books and movies to keep you busy.
- Clean your house before surgery so that you aren’t tempted to tidy up while you’re recovering. Many of my patients find that they can relax better in a clean home.
- Map a brief walking route around the house. Careful walking and stretching will keep your blood flowing and your muscles loose.
- Think positive. Even if you’re frustrated by taking time off from work, exercise, and your usual routine, try to remember the great new look that awaits you when recovery is complete. Sometimes, it helps to look at before and after pictures of our other patients in our photo gallery.
And a bonus tip: most importantly, always follow your surgical instructions and be sure to call your surgeon if you have any questions.
If you’ve had surgery before, what other tips can you add?